Perhaps, the single – biggest reason, so many people, have lost faith in our political system, and the way, elected officials, behave, and fail – to – achieve, is they witness, the same issue, discussed, over – and – over, with, apparently, little – to – no, true progress, achieved, even, when the issue, is even, the most, time – sensitive, in – nature! Why do we permit, politicians, to resort, to denials, and other, politically, personally – serving, behaviors, when, now, perhaps, more – than – ever, we need these individuals, to proactively, come to a meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good? Whether, the issues, include, Climate Change ramifications/ impacts, protecting the environment (especially, clean air and water, etc), improving infrastructure, or, a variety of other issues, and urgent matters, we must demand, no – more, procrastination, and some, common sense, leadership, into – the – future! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, what I refer to, as the, 5 P’s of why, we continue, witnessing the same – old, same – old, behaviors, and tendencies!
1. Political viewpoints/ perspectives: We cannot permit, business – as – usual, when elected officials, refuse to transform – themselves, from politicians, to statesmen, after they are elected! While, certain issues, tend to have a variety of political options, alternatives, and philosophies, in timely – issues, these perspectives must take a back – seat, to doing, the right thing, both for the current populations, but for generations, to – follow!
2. Personal/ political agenda and self – interest: Demand, those elected, realize, it is their duty and responsibility, to, truly, serve – and – represent, and protect us, instead of prioritizing, any personal/ political agenda, and/ or, their actual, and/ or, perceived, self- interest!
3. Partisan politics: While, there will always, be, some degree of partisan politics, because, an open – discussion, of all options, and alternatives, is the best approach, we must not permit it, to dominate, over using some common sense, and doing, what is needed, necessary, relevant, and, truly, sustainable, instead of letting them, resort to procrastination, and/ or, kicking – issues, down – the – road!
4. Priorities: Instead of, having, political campaigns, which appeal to fears, and/ or, self – interest (actual, and/ or, perceived), we need to address priorities, proactively, sooner, rather than later!
5. Perceptions: How issues, are explained, articulated, and communicated, have a huge impact on the perceptions, of many! How else, can we explain, combating this horrific pandemic, becoming a partisan – political issue, instead of an emphasizing, on proceeding, with the best approach, to public health, etc?
Wake up, America, and demand better, more responsible, service and representation, from those we elect, to serve and represent! We can’t afford, the same – old, same – old, politics – as – usual!